Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2D Quilt Making

In 2D we've been looking a lot at these Gee's Bend Quilts. My teacher loves them so much that she assigned this quilt project. We have to make three different quilts, each better than the last. I have sort of been considering fibers as my major so I figured this would be a good experience for me.
Our first task was to dye these Japanese papers with different color paints. That part was really fun. It was simple and basically just left up to us to do whatever we felt like.
Then, it got hard. We had to create a composition, then pick our colors, then sew it together. It sounds simple, right? Yeah, that's what I thought. There is this whole measuring/math process to quilting that I never even thought about. Not only do you have to decide how long and thick the pieces are going to be on the quilt, but you have to then cut extra space so that you have enough room to sew it together.
So I finished my first quilt and it was pretty simplistic. I had a blue vertical line and then a red vertical line next to each other. Then i had two purple triangles and two yellow triangles put together next to the vertical lines. My teacher seemed to like it and I got some good feedback from my classmates.
Now I'm on to my second quilt. I made the design today in class and I was really proud of it. My teacher likes it too. I start measuring everything and cutting everything and realized it is going to be incredibly hard. I designed like the most complex quilt ever. I still haven't sewed it together yet. Wish me luck! I'll definitely need it...

No comments:

Post a Comment